Now that we are well into summer grilling, it’s a good idea to remind everyone about grilling safety tips. The following are important warnings to keep in mind when you fire up the grill:
- Do not let children operate or play near the grill.
- Keep all flammable items at least 5 feet away from your grill.
- Only grill in a well-ventilated space. Don’t grill in a carport, garage, porch, covered patio or under a balcony or deck. And keep your grill at least 3 feet away from any walls.
- Avoid using charcoal in a gas grill.
- Always keep your grill lid OPEN while you start your fire.
- Make sure all of the knobs and valves are turned off when not using your grill.
- Don’t move your grill while it’s running or hot. Keep it in the same place from the second the fire starts until it is cold.
- Use long-handled barbecue utensils to avoid burns and splatters.
- If you notice grease or other hot material dripping from the grill onto the valve, hose or regulator, turn off the gas supply at once! Find the cause and correct it. Then clean and inspect valve, hose and regulator before you start grilling again. To perform a leak test, fill a spray bottle with equal parts water and dish soap and spray it on the hose, valve and regulator. Any leaks will make small bubbles.
So, use caution, planning, and common sense to have a safe and delicious summer at your grill!
Proud member of Kansas City NARI
Fireplace & Bar-B-Q Center
Overland Park, KS 66212
Monday: 9 to 6
Tuesday: 9 to 6
Wednesday: 9 to 6
Thursday: 9 to 6
Friday: 9 to 6